Giant stompy robots


I was cleaning out the shop this summer and found a large sealed mason jar of dubious contents.  I swirled it around to see the arm of an old Warhammer mech appear out of the murk against the side of the glass.  The contents turned out the be a large number of old Ral Partha plastic and lead Battlemechs that I had put in a solution of simple green in the hopes of someday stripping out the abhorrent paint jobs they arrived with. 

Well it turns out 12 -15 years in the solution was just the trick and I was able to clean many of them up to a presentable (and paintable) fashion.  These are the old plastic 'unseen' mechs from 80's-90's era that were done in softer plastic and thus the level of plastic flash was astounding.  I tried to pretty up a lance's worth and decided to paint a group to see how the contrast paints would work.  I opted to do the Lexington Combat Group as a throwback unit. I was even able to resurect some ancient transfers to add tactical numbers and some other details.

I decided I was on a roll, and tried to tackle some other mechs from the bits box.  These were originally started as "Sword of Light" mechs in pure red, but I opted to spruce them up with some shale grey legs. 


Finally the bottom of the jar revealed some truly ancient lead 'Assault' mechs, so I opted to do them up as the Lyran Guard. 


Not my usual fare, but it was a fun diversion.  It also inspired me to break out the board game for a few games with my son.  Turns out he like big stompy robots as well.  I may need to paint some more...

Comments

  1. I am going to look in my garage to see if I find anything similar ? Nice work !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is kind of like sending a gift to your future self...

      Delete
  2. I'd think that long in the jar would have dissolved the plastic as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 years appears to be the ideal soak time for 50% of the models. The other half should be ready before 2030.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see someone taking the long view. Well worth it for Giant Stompy Robots :-)

    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has forced me to look at my long dormant collection of Giant Stompy Robots and question if perhaps I have too many as it is...

      Delete

Post a Comment