TYW - Swedish Upgrades complete

Full Army array
I am like the NASA of wargaming:  Overbudget, Behind Schedule, and unable to maintain long term goals due to the constant interference of outside entities. 

That said, I have finally finished rebasing the Swedish/Protestant contingent for my Epic Thirty Years War project.  The majority of the delays were the result of moving to individual blocks for the Infantry.  This required a lot of trimming and cutting of the strips as well as painting up some extra figures to add some personality to each formation.  I also opted to drop all of the smaller units down to 3"x1.5" bases rather than 3"x2" in order to make them look a little more cohesive on the table.  


Swedish/Protestant Cavaliers

Currently the Swedish/Protestant army stands at

  • Infantry
    • 9 Swedish Regiments
    • 5 Allied German Regiments
    • 2 Mercenary Scot Regiments
    • 4 Blocks of Commanded Shotte
  • Cavalry
    • 5 Regiments of Currasier
    • 10 Regiments of Harquebusier
    • 5 Regiments of Dragoons
    • 1 Regiment of Scottish Lancers
    • 2 Regiments of Scottish Dragoons
  • Artillery 
    • 6 Stands Heavy Guns
    • 6 Stands Falconets
    • 5 stands of Light Guns

Swedish/Protestant Infantry

The infantry include three stands from the Yellow Brigade, 2 each for the Black, Blue and Green Brigade as well as forces from Stuttgart and Karlsruhe.   
Swedish/Protestant Cavalry and Supporting Shotte

I switched to 6 figures each for the Heavy Cavalry and 7 for the Cuirassier to make them easier to discern at a distance.  


Scottish Mercenaries
I still have some additional units to complete including two more regiments of Scots and three more stands of Cuirassier, but all of the existing units have been rebased.  I ordered a couple boxes of the new Warlord Cuirassiers to test against the existing Essex and Peter Pig models I have been using.  Overall they look very good, especially compared to the less than spectacular plastic models.  There are 15 unique sculpts in each regiment, though strangely most are modeled with swords and war hammers rather than pistols. (Strange in that the box art highlights their role in the caracole, rather than melee attacks) 

  

Side Shot

 I have completed rebasing all of the Catholic/Imperial Cavalry at this point which leaves the Infantry. This unfortunately means that I have to make a decision on how I want to represent Tercios at this scale.  More on that for the next post.   


Thanks for looking

 

Comments

  1. Impressive array of P&S units. At our recent convention, there was a very nice P&S Epic game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I haven't seen too many pictures from Enfilade other that what you posted. I admit I haven't made it over there in over 20 years. Perhaps now that it is back near Federal Way, I can make the sojourn.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive sight!
    Georgetown's Wargaming Society is hosting a lecture on Tuesday about gaming the TYW. It may be of interest to you.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-political-struggle-in-europe-during-the-thirty-years-war-1618-1648-tickets-780431641047?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=ebdsshcopyurl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am going to listen in on it. My directorate did some similar style Wargaming at USEUCOM last year for program development. I am always interested in seeing professional applications.

      Delete
    2. Tried the seminar, but after an hour of "waiting for the host to start the meeting" I am having COVID flashbacks....

      Delete
  3. Great looking army, top notch! Also love your likening of yourself to NASA, I think that probably rings true for a lot of us, me included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking army worth the effort 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment