TYW- Dragoons

 

Mounted and Dismounted Dragoons from the Warlords Boxed Set

After painting up the mounted and dismounted Dragoon units from the Epic Pike & Shotte Boxed set, I decided to try something different and switch to a single mixed unit of mounted and dismounted figures.  


Swedish Dragoons using Peter Pig ECW and some spare Warlord Models
I am not really a fan of trying to model whether a given unit is mounted or dismounted in a game of this scale.  That seems more of a tactical decision outside the scope of operational level of the game itself.  The fact that there are no horse holder models fairly sealed the decision for me, as I am not sure about the actual change in firepower/frontage I should expect depending on their status.  I guess I prefer to simply deploy them as-is and actual status can be explained through the random outcomes of their shooting and morale rolls. 

Imperial Dragoons using Peter Pig ECW models


I tried to hit a fairly even balance with the mounted standard bearer and Drummer surrounded by dismounts  and four figures each on the other bases.  I can probably get away with rebasing the two units I already did into 4 units with some additional figures from my Peter Pig models.  

Side by side comparison

I am also working on a few more Pike regiments with some added skirmishers to make them look a little more dynamics.  This is an enjoyable project as I am intentionally setting it up to allow me to expand and improve units over time.  My real challenge now is to figure out a better way to model the difference between as Dutch Reform battalia and a SpanishTercio that looks good on the table.  The Warlord range still suffers from being a primarily ECW affair with TYW considered as a secondaty market.  They just released their Scots Coventors, so hopefully they will do some expansions for the TYW collectors on the next update. 



Comments

  1. Good idea with the dragoons, starting to wish I had done mine like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late to change it. I have always been slightly annoyed by the need to tell individual regiments their disposition in grand scale games. I always felt it was better abstracted in terms of good and bad dice rolls.

      Delete
    2. This is a good idea with the dragoons. Like you, abstraction is a solid approach when tactical decisions are executed below the level of command.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, my biggest hesitation in the project so far is actually using the multi base units. Prior to this I was moving to single based units. I am still thinking about figuring out how to switch back.

      Delete

Post a Comment