TYW - Warlord Epic Pike & Shotte Boxed Set

The first major benchmark achieved.  After roughly five months of work, the basic boxed set is complete.  I basically did a fifty-fifty split for the Imperial and Swedish armies.  The set includes around 1300+ models (including the pike/musket strips) which gives a total of 14 units Pike &Shotte, 2x commanded shotte, 2x Dragoons (mounted and dismounted), 4x Heavy Cavalry, 1x Cuirassier (with 3x command figures from Peter Pig to complete the unit) and 12 field pieces.  In addition, I picked up the sets of Imperial and Protestant leaders and the resin casualty markers.  


For the Protestant army I did 5x units of Swedes and 2x German allies from Baden-Baden and Stuttgart.  Otherwise they received 2x units of Cavalry and 1x commanded shotte. 


The Imperial Side has the same overall configuration as the Protestant side, with the addition of the unit of Cuirassier.  The regiments themselves are a mix of Bavarians and Spaniards.  


Closer look at the newly based Swedish Infantry

 Overall I am fairly happy with the infantry and artillery models provided.  I plan to spice up the next few regiments with the addition of some individual figures to the shotte stands to make them a little more dynamics.  I am preferring Peter Pig's individual models over those provided by Warlord, so I will fill out most the supporting units from their range.

The cavalry is the most disappointing part of the collection.  It is obvious this set is primarily aimed at the ECW collector, so the Cuirassier are sorely lacking.  In addition, the models look fairly rough with a detail level I would expect for something in the 6-10mm range, not his larger size.  I have another boxed set worth of models, but I will put priority on painting up the metal models I have collected to date.  Currently I am focusing on getting more Cuirassier units across the painting table. 

 I will do some better close ups of the two armies and the leader units in the near future.  Thanks for looking. 

A completed regiment of Protestant Cuirassier from Peter Pig.


Comments

Post a Comment