TYW Infantry: Pikes and Basing

 


The infantry strips in the new Epic Pike & Shotte range were the real selling point for me.  I have really enjoyed using the strips for my larger 10mm projects, as they really work well to represent rank and file infantry for large armies.  The regiments each come on their own injection molded sprue with two ranks of Pike (one armored, one not), 1 Command rank, 2 rank Musketeers with rifles shouldered, 2 ranks of Musketeers standing and 10 individual front rank pike.  I was not too thrilled with how the pike stands ranked up.  I know many users online are just gluing 2-3 small stands together to form the block.  I opted to try out some of the "Batbases" from the BigRedBatShop after seeing someone use them on another forum.  I really prefer the look of these bases, although they still suffer from the pikes sticking out well beyond the base edge.  To combat this, I just put in another order for some slightly deeper bases that may provide enough ground to allow units to better face off.

Pictured below is my first attempt at the Swedish Yellow Regiment on the Warlord bases.  I swapped out the marching musketeers with another regiment to give this one a more uniform appearance.  The base lacks highlights and flock as I am not committed to rebasing these when my new bases arrive. 


The Warlord infantry boxes include a flag sheet with numerous Imperialist and Protestant regiments from across Europe.  There is a heavy emphasis on the Swedes for the Protestant  side, which works well for my plans.   

I know that uniforms are anathema to the time period, but I still find it useful to stick to a basic color scheme for the shirts and pants, and then mix the hat colors to provide the more chaotic look.  At least for the 'national' units.  My German Mercenaries are a different story. 


Speaking of which, here is the first of tree German Mercenary units for the Imperial side.  I did these with a mix and match of red, blue, yellow, green and beige.  I did settle on the same colors for all all stockings and personal equipment to stream line the painting process.  


These were all done using the same "slap chop" process I outlined last time.  The figures work very well for it as you are painting a single piece representing 10 men as opposed to individual models.  

I am still not sure about the look of the musketeer stands.  I may go back later and add some skirmishers or hanger's on just to increase the visual interest.  Still, it is a good start for now.

Thanks for looking. 

Comments

  1. The visual effect is very good as a unit, which is what you're looking for at this scale (whatever "Epic" actually is; ? 12 mm)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen mention that “Epic” is 13.5mm.

      Delete
    2. Infantry is roughly 13.5mm, the cavalry are small-side 15mm. They rank up well with Peter Pig 15mm, but are dwarfed by Khurasan 15mm.

      Delete
  2. These look great in formation! Not sure I’m a fan of the jagged base edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way they tend to blend into to the table.

      Delete
  3. It's probably good the cavalry runs a bit bigger than the infantry, and if they fit in with at least one other ? older 15mm range, that's a plus for added variety, special troops etc.
    I'm neutral about the Bat bases myself; whatever looks good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on the cavalry. I have found some of my old Essex figures may blend in as well. I also have some Essex musketeers that have been languishing in the bin for a couple of decades. They are currently slotted to fill in for some commanded shotte units.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what rules do you have in mind for TYW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently discussing this with Jon. I have used his homebrew rules and Impetus in the past. I want to expand out to the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, so still looking for the best fit. It may require more experimentation.

      Delete
    2. The Poles, and The Deluge are a really interesting part of the era; a lot you can do there. Plus you get top have Winged Hussars! Charlie Sweet had them in 15 mm 20 mm, 25 mm, 30 mm and 54 mm; part of what got Joe and I into the era!

      Delete

Post a Comment