Rangers of Shadowdeep Mid-Summer update

'
Mason and I managed to finish all the scenarios from the main rulebook in June, and have even done a few from on-line sources.  In addition, I convinced him to have a go at Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago.  It has been fairly fun, and I am continuing to add scatter terrain and the odd monster to the collection to support both games. 

I picked up several of the new models from the Reaper Bones Black range.  These use a much harder plastic than the white models and hold detail fairly well.  Prices are still fairly low with a pack of figures coming in from $3- 6 USD 
Giant leeches, also works for giant snakes.

Giant Frogs
Something called a 'razor maw' ?

I have also been playing around with a few pots of GW's new 'contrast paints' and it motivated me to dig out my old GW washes and glazes from the late 80's/ early 90's.  It makes painting up the Reaper and WK plastics rather easy, although be warned that the 'pre-primed' logo is a little misleading and can lead to some frustration if you try to paint right out of the package. 

Reaper Black Boats,  Very useful, but I need more

Barrels for scatter terrain

Pack Mules

An Owlbear, the most feared fantasy model since the introduction of the Ducksnake 
Lastly I painted up a group of Dragonborn  models to serve as general forces of darkness.  Most of the weapons were swapped out for others from the bits bin. 

This project also has me working on getting more trees done as well as a collection of ruins for the table.  More to follow I am sure...

Comments

  1. Nice and varied additions, Jake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, My son actually hosted a game for his friends today. He may actually get more use out of my hobby table than me.

      Delete
    2. I'd say that is an excellent development! :-)

      Delete
    3. It is, we have also been playing lots of wargames of late. Between these games and Axis&Allies it has been a fairly lively summer.

      Delete
    4. Axis and Allies, the boardgame?

      Delete
    5. Yep, the same. It includes miniatures so I am counting it.

      Delete
  2. I like Axis and Allies, and have the MB version and also a computer version. It is a game to which I made a tiny contribution myself, related in my series "Of Dice and Tin Men"

    https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/search/label/Dice%20and%20Tin%20Men

    The short version is, after a playtest, I told one of the designers - "Good game, but you need to make it so it plays to a conclusion in no more than 3-4 hours". They cut the number of map areas in half, made some other tweaks, and well, that was 1980! It was published imn 1981, and soon after the rights were sold to Milton Bradley, and here we are still plying it almost 40 years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I just got lost down the rabbit hole of your tales of yore. Thanks for the link. I remember games of Axis and Allies running well into the night (8-10 hours sometimes) when I was in middle school. More terrain would stretch that out into a few days. For the most part I found that the Axis wins in 2-3 hours, or the allies do it in 4-5 hours. (Unless someone overturns the table) The best (worst) games are when we had five players and no alliances. Good times.

      Delete
    2. In early middle school, Risk was the game of choice, and also the MB (I think) game of the Civil War. My longtime best freind, Laurence, moved from CT to Houston, Texas around then, and shortly there after was when I discovered miniature wargaming... probably because I had a lot more time on my hands and was kind of depressed a bit without him to hang around with. When I finally assembled a group of guys who liked to play in HS, I probably played more games over the course of 4-5 years than I have in the rest of my life combined. It helps when you really have little need to study (you teach me once, and I've got it). We had plenty of long tabletop wargames, especially on weekends, but the late into the night sessions were invariably D&D.

      Delete
    3. I had some similar experiences. For wargaming, the big moment was when my friend moved off to Georgia and I realized I only had half the forces necessary for most of the periods we played now...

      Delete
    4. I din't have a problem with troops no mater what, as it was never less than 80% of the troops being mine! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment