This years goals are much more cut and dry. I have too much unpainted crap, and too little of it is crossing my painting desk. While I have painted a great deal of miniatures since starting this blog, most of them were purchased in the same year or nearly the same year as when they were painted. This year I painted a total of 2623 castings, of which 1972 were purchased/acquired within the last 18 months. That means only 25% of my efforts can really be attributed to reducing the lead pile. I am willing to cut myself a little more slack as around 1000 of those castings were the 10mm ACW figs for which I traded away my unpainted ECW collection.
So what is the scale of the problem?
This is my battlefield
This is the enemy:
|Numerous scales and eras cued up|
|More unpainted lead in boxes and bags|
|Bins of odds and ends that have gone through four moves....|
Thus my goals break out a little differently.
1. Complete castings for the following ERAs.
- 6mm Fantasy - A few figures to complete to be ready for some mass battles.
- 6mm Moderns - Complete my Modern and Early 90s PLA Brigades
- 6mm WWII - Finish my Early War French models and Late War Germans
- 6mm Napoleonics - Those Saxons are not going to paint themselves. Also, I need to knock out the French Generals and Field Marshals.
- 6mm WOTR - Lots of casualty figures still need completion.
- 6mm Terrain - I have too many boxes of unfinished work.
- 28mm WWII - I have the models available to finish my Paratrooper Platoon and do a Waffen-SS Platoon to act as OPFOR.
- 28mm Han Chinese - This is definitely the new project for the year, as the Kickstarter I backed is finally shipping this month.
- 28mm Fantasy - rehabilitate the rest of my old WHFB Bretonnian army as well as the few outstanding Empire figures that support my Renaissance project.
- 20mm WWII - Complete my UK Paras, US Paratroopers and German Panzergrenadiers. Rehabilitate my Falschirmjaegers and Wehrmacht units.
- 10mm ACW - I need to finish painting about 400 castings to eliminate the backlog. I don't wish to carry any more unpainted figures into 2017.
- 15mm Sanurai - I have two regiments of peasants and three regiments of Cavalry still awaiting completion. The rest will be surplus.
- 1/6000 Naval -These need to be completed or sold.
2. Eliminate the following:
- 6mm WWII - A lot of excess GHQ castings of bits and bobs to ellimate.
- 6mm Moderns - Get rid of the excess of BMP-3s, T-80s and other unpainted models that are excess to my needs.
- 6mm SciFi- I have more than enough painted Battlemechs, the rest need to go.
- 20mm War in the Pacific -Two under-strength USMC and Japanese units need to go.
- 15mm Romans and their enemies -Most of of the unpainted Essex models are finally gone. I have some old glory to police up as well as a few painted stands.
- 15mm Fantasy -already have models in 6mm (mass battles) and 28mm (Skirmish) I want to finish painting the partially complete models and then bundle up and sell the Ork, Dwarf and Undead Armies.
- 15mm Early Renaissance and late Middle Ages - Lots of unpainted lead here from numerous manufacturers. I already have sufficient stocks in 28mm and 6mm, they are now redundant.
- 15mm Colonial French and British -10 years on and I still haven't gotten to these. Time to go.
- 15mm ACW - I still have much to rehab and sell. The cavalry went quickly, but not much interest in the Infantry.
- 15mm ACW terrain - Too big for 10mm, to small for the 28mm skirmish. Time to make some room for the rest of the collection.
- 15mm Napoleonic - I have several French and British units languishing away. My 6mm collection more than fits my needs.
- 28mm Fantasy -Lots of old GW lead needs to find a new home.
So prepare for more eclectica, and a return to 6mm and 1/285 in the near future.