Wilder's Lightning Brigade Part II -Mounted Infantry and Artillery


92nd Illinois
The other half of this brigade uses the mounted figures.  You get 36 Mounted Infantrymen plus some mounted commanders and standard bearers.  As with the dismounted infantrymen, I found the standard bearers slightly diminuative, so I decided to just drill and pin some standards to some of the existing mounted infantrymen.  This also allowed me to do two flags per regiment, which helps to highlight their status as mounted infantry rather than cavalry. 


98th Illnois

The addition of a command figure for each regiment freed up one trooper, so I decided to pair them with my leftover GHQ mules to create some defacto horseholder stands. 
Cracklerline minis with GHQ Mules



The brigade pack also came with two different cannon crews. 
18th Indiana Battery
One crew appears to be prolonging the gun and the other is in the process of firing.  The carriage is comparable in size to the GHQ ones I already have though without the same level of crisp detail.  I opted to replace the barrels provided with some of the myriad of barrels I had left over from my numerous GHQ batteries.  This makes them fit in a little better with the group.
Crackerline Guns with GHQ Barrels
The crewmen are comparable to my GHQ minis, although a little thicker overall. 
GHQ (L)  Crackerline (R)
That completes all of the firepower for the unit, I just need to settle on a proper stand and supporting figs for COL Wilder himself.

Brigade mass


Comments

  1. A great looking little mobile force. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is an interesting diversion. My 10mm 'conversion' project has had more rapid success than I anticipated.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive - not only the brushwork, but their capabilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree I like the unique feel to this unit.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the mounted horse holders!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically mule holders, but yeah I am liking the ability to tailor this unit a little better. I took advantage of the GHQ summer sale to get some more cavalry to convert over to horse holders as well.

      Delete
  4. Nifty looking brigade! Have you tried any of the Old Glory 10s, yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not gotten to Old Glory yet. I have some Pendragon figs waiting for their turn once I finish all of the remaining GHQ figs.

      Delete

Post a Comment