Thanks


O.K. moment of honesty: I got nominated for this one last year and chose to quietly let it slide, I got double tapped this year, so I will take a crack at it.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but am more daunted by the idea of leaving out far too many deserving blogs from my own nomination list.  Andrew over Loki's Great Hall said it best already; look at the blogs I follow, there is a reason I follow them.

That said thanks to Jon at the Palouse Wargaming Journal and Flying Monkey Boy over at The Monkey that walks for the nominations.

Jon would be on the top of my list of nominations simply due to the fact the he has single- handedly (or perhaps underhandedly) managed to derail my 6mm Wargaming blog into the realm of 28mm.  You may visit his site to deliver lauds and curses as appropriate.  He is my primary opponent for "serious" wargames.  (My son is still my primary opponent for all other miniatures gaming.) , and the worst part of gaming at his house is the overwhelming compulsion to paint a new genre every time I leave.  (For the record I am not considering painting some FIW skirmish figs due to our last encounter.)

The Monkey that Walks is one of my goto sites for inspiration.  I usually keep my tablet handy near my painting table so I can look for references when painting figures.  His Saga custom vikings are excellent.

Finally a belated thank you to Peter aka Gonsalvo over at Blunders on the Danube.  He is the most supportive person I think I have never actually met!?!  He was one of my first followers and always has positive things to say across numerous blogs.  I think he is quietly one of the backbones of out tiny "blogosphere"  Also his website is my default for Napoleonic resources and is an excellent read.  I purchased his Blunders on the Danube 1809 Campaign book, and was not disappointed.

So here are the rules as interpreted by Jon:

The "official" rules as interpreted by me:
  • Copy and paste the award on your blog linking to the blogger who has given it to you 
  • Pass the award to your top 11 blogs with less than 200 followers by leaving a comment one of their posts to notify then that they have won the award and listing them on your own blog 
  • Sit back and bask in the warm fuzzy feeling that comes that knowing you have made someones day! 
  • There is no obligation to pass this onto someone else but it's nice if you take the time to do so. 

So, most importantly here are my nominations.  Visit these sites, you will not be disappointed.  (If you are, take a moment to scratch a puppy behind the ears or something...)

The Blog with no Name  he may have more than 200 followers but awesome should not be denied.  Ian's Secret Santa idea is a stroke of brilliance.

Warmaster Inspiration site for painting my 6mm Medievals

Dots of Paint  War of 1812 goodness.

Very Tiny Wars  I just followed Ian's link, and have been happily reading content for awhile now.  This guy should have more followers...

Storm and Conquest  Multiple eras, all with excellent painting

Kampfgruppe Engel  If I ever actually finish painting my 28mm Arabs it is because of this site.

Tom's Toy Soldiers  Saga inspiration.

Back to the Minis  The weekly link updates a great way to find new sites.

Here's No great Matter  Ancients goodness

Cold War Hot Hot Hot  Cold War Goodness, great inspiration if you want to finish that BOAR brigade you keep meaning to do.

The Land of Coutnerpane  More Cold War Goodness, especially the Campaigns.





So on to Jon's questions

1. Why did you start blogging?

I first started a Wargames website back in 1995 when there seemed to be only 20 sites dedicated to Warhammer 40,000 and only a handful actually published any meaningful content.  I have been Wargaming in some form or another since 1980, and love tinkering with the rules.  I decided to make a site offering what I thought were actually 'balanced' additions to the popular rule sets.  Starting with Warhammer 40,000 and then branching out over the years.  I kind of stopped around 2000/2001 and let my web presence vanish for a few years.

In 2009 my interests turned heavily to 6mm gaming, but I was frustrated at how few pictures and resources I could find.  Inevitably I started posting my own work to forums like GHQ and Baccus in the hopes of getting others to do likewise so I could draw some inspiration from their work.    

The blogging part came about from a blog I created for my son and I's early games called "The Saga of King Mason."  When he was 3-5 he would go into my hobby room and create worlds , fill them full of figures and then we would have battles and develop the story.  The games were close to large scale role-playing but were a great way for a father and son to bond and kill time without video games.  I was enjoying that part so much, I decided to create this blog.  Now it is my primary inspiration for painting.  I have a goal of conquering the vast lead pile in my garage.  These day to day updates and belonging to this community help move that along.


2. If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be?

The two active parts of playing wargames are the words play and game  I have experienced real war.  It sucks.  Don't let simulation get in the way of entertainment.  Also your worth as a human being is not defined by your performance on the table.  I was a competitive @#$! when I played 40K.  It is one reason I quit and moved to historical gaming.  I enjoy scenario games where I am playing for some goal other than simple meeting engagements.  

3. Do you read Battle Reports and what makes them inviting to read?
I used to dislike them, but now find them a quite enjoyable part of the hobby.  I like seeing how people approach tactical challenges, deal with unexpected turns in fortune, or even visualize an historical battlefield.

4. Is figure painting a chore or pleasure?
I think it is one of those things that develops with age.  From ages 8-34 it was something I had to do.  Now it is my favorite part of the hobby.

5. Napoleon once was quoted as saying he preferred a general that was lucky over skilled. In gaming, are you lucky or skilled?
How do I answer this without being self-effacing or cocky?

6. Could you limit your gaming and collecting to one period and one size? If so, what?
Human history; 6mm.

7. How do you deal with burn out?
Step One:  turn on television, cycle through hundreds of channels of uninspired dreck, inspiration will follow.
Step Two:  Play video game, after several hours realize that I am clicking a button a set number of times in order to destroy a sprite, allowing me to advance some value on a hidden spreadsheet which allows me access to click on more advanced sprites...  Sudden feeling of existential dread will follow.
Step Three:  Set up game with friend.  Inspiration will follow.

8. If you could only buy from one miniature company from now on, which one would it be?  Here is how I interpret this question:  "You are tied up and immersed neck deep in human waste.  Someone throws a bag of excrement at your head.  Do you duck?" (nod to Dom Herrara...)   I have no response to this.

Comments

  1. Congratulations, and also, thanks fior the shout out, Jake! As you know, I already thought you deserved it last time around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake! Thank you for answering the questions. Most responses made me chuckle! Your humor kills me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and well deserved. Also thanks for the nomination, you would have been on my list to hand it out to as well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and thanks for the shout out. Now I have to think about a list myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already give me an awesome list every week.

      Delete
  5. Congrats and big thanks. Glad I can inspire you with those arabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the riders are now done, I just have those horses and camels staring at me, mocking me....

      Delete

Post a Comment