Adventures in 185mm continue

Work on the new den continues.  I have all of the old Cabinets out, walls painted and first of the long-term furniture ready.  We still have not located the battery pack from the digital camera, so these "low-res" shots from my Ipod are all I have to offer.  
I considered wall-paper, but the cost and effort led me to try a more leathery textured paint.   I sanded and stained one of the existing book shelves with a deep chestnut wash.  It was a bit large for the traditional dip method, so I chose to use a brush instead.


The long blank wall is destined to hold the display shelves.  I am still trying to decide between building a full shelving unit, or trying my hand at doing recessed shelving by cutting out the sheet rock.   (The is the only interior wall in the room, and there are no outlets)


I have only just begun to get my hobby supplies and memorabilia into a semblance of organization.  My son helped me assemble the glass shelves.  I bought them from a department store that was going under years ago, and they definitely have a unique look to them. Now that I actually have real book shelves and other storage, the question is what to display in them.

That is it for this update.  Miniatures will return when I can get the camera up and operational.  Next up for this room is the new game table.  I have already purchased the lumber and begun construction...

Comments

  1. Looking good, unlike me, I seem to be a strange shade of Green LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great so far. There are a couple of problems building shelves between studs. First off you are limited to the depth of the stud, 3.5" in most cases, so to store anything larger you will have to build out and around the face of the studs. Secondly, the back of your shelf will be whatever is on the other side of the stud and if that is more sheet rock, it isn't exactly ding proof. Third, you will have to cover the raw wood of the studs with something. Unless you really need those extra couple of inches, I wouldn't bother.

    Now if the wall in question isn't load bearing, you could tear it out completely and replace it with custom shelving. This would look great and offer many opportunities for customization. It would also be a lot more work than one might think and possibly more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent points I have considered. The shelves I am looking at doing are for my 15mm and 6mm collections. Depth is less of an issue as figures tend to disappear at anything past 6". I have several 4'x8' 1/4in Hardwood sheets I inherited with the shop. I was considering using those to back the counters, and then encase the studs with 1/2" boards to get the 6" depth I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you plan to be in this house for decades, and you don't mind the work, go for the recessed shelves (maybe with lighting if you really want to get fancy. The improved look and extra space gained are both likely to be worth it in the long haul! Of course I should take my own advice and do a major upgrade of my own shelving... just takes time and money, both of which I prefer to spend on troops for now, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment