TYW - Swedish Cavalry Remounted



Five units of Swedish and Allied harquebusiers

Almost done rebasing the Cavalry Units for the Protestant forces.  I have gone with 3" x 1.5" bases initially with six figures for harquebusiers and seven figures each for the Cuirassiers.  I am happy with how the Cuirassiers, but I may up the number of figures on the trotters for the plastic figures as it tends to 'wash out' the effect of the lower quality sculpts.  Alternatively I like the way the units look double stacked on the table, so I may keep them in that formation for smaller scale engagements.  This also prevents me form needing to order more command figures to flesh out the stands.  


Swedish and German Cuirassiers

 I am still waiting for the 3"x 2" MDF bases to arrive, so the extra 0.5" of depth may change my opinion on figure density.  I have the plastic cavalry off their old stands and waiting for the new ones for mounting.  In addition, I am playing around with the right look for my units of commanded shotte.  currently I am looking at using two strips of the plastic musketeers augmented by 7-9 individual figures like the ones I used on the pike and shotte regiments.  The strips provide the needed mass, and the individuals give them some character. 

Overall, I am much happier with movement to single base units on this project.  I actually get units on a 4'x6' table with room to maneuver rather than massive static lines.  I still haven't come up with a solution to represent the Tercios, but I will deal with that after I finish rebasing the masses of Imperial infantry and cavalry I need to do.  

Thanks for looking. 


Comments

  1. I like the cavalry basing. Are you planning to play on a hex grid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't fully decided on how I want it to play out. The hex grid I have is for C&C variants, and I was thinking about adapting one of those for small playtests. For the full scale games I have the grid mat for "To the The Strongest" to use or just a traditional mat. I am still interested in trying out your rules at some point.

      Delete
  2. Good answer to the basing problem, they look grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just finished re-basing 4x stands of Harquebusier using 7 figures on a 3x2 and it seems to fit the bill.

      Delete
  3. I like the look of the bases for your cavalry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they seem to work alone or in pairs. Provides some flexibility.

      Delete
  4. Very fine looking horsemen, Jake!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment