TYW Project - Artillery

 

Imperial Heavy Battery

The Warlord Epic "Push of Pike" boxed set includes 6x cavalry sprues from their TWY/ECW line.  This provides enough models for 6x each of heavy and light guns. (as well as a single Resin fighting position shown in the photo above.)  They are fairly straight-forward castings with 1x crewman molded with each carriage wheel and a double casting crew piece for the heavy guns. 

Protestant Light Battery

Epic Pike & Shotte Rules call for batteries of 3 gun stands for each artillery unit.  Thus, the boxed set allows for four total units.  I went ahead and did 2 batteries per side, however, the lack of uniforms of the period means I can readily use them as either Protestant or Imperial batteries.  

Protestant Heavy Battery


Protestant Gunline

I used the same slap-chop method as I have for the rest of the collection.  My approach has been to use this as a base-line to get my colors and basic shading done.  I can then go back later and start applying some better highlights using traditional paints. (Mostly AP Air-Brush paints as they are already thinned enough for my purposes) 
Imperial Gunline
I am happy with the results for these units.  The models have enough detail to look right on the table, and are some of the best parts of the cavalry sprues.  In fact, these, the commanded shotte and the dismounted Dragoons are all fairly good models.  It is a pity that the Cavalry models themselves did not come out as cleanly.  


Imperial Light Battery

 I picked up a Swedish Light Battery from the "By Fire and Sword" line after getting a unit of their Pancerni minis for my burgeoning Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth force.  Their cavalry models are on par in scale to the cavalry miniatures for this game, so I was surprised to see how herculean the gun crews turned out (they look more 16-17mm). The guns work fine, but I will need to investigate if the Peter Pig gun crews will work better.  I am finding that the comparable scales are rather hit an miss even from the same companies.  This was very evident in the cavalry models I picked up from Khurasan.  More about that in the next update.  


Thanks for visiting. 

Comments

  1. They certainly look the part. Should the barrels be bronze? Iron guns were usually only used for fortresses and ships (where the guns were not fire often).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still trying to get the tarnished bronze effect without coming out gleaming gold. I settled for the darker matte look until I find a technique I like.

      Delete
  2. Yes, nice work! You really hit this project running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although I have been beavering away at it for a little over four months now. My approach is putting a substantial time delay between completed paint schemes and battefield readiness.

      Delete

Post a Comment