TYW Cavalry - Harquebusiers

 


The first few cavalry regiments are no completed  The Warlord Epic Pike & Shotte set comes with four regiments of Harquebusiers.  (Six of their cavalry sprues).  I painted two each for the Imperial and Swedish armies. 


The cavalry sprues are much more focused on supporting a English Civil War collection rather than a continental army.  A single boxed set comes with enough horsemen to field 2 regiments of Harquebusier, 1 regiment Dragoons, and only six Cuirassier models. (You need 15x for one unit)  This works fairly well for the Swedes who had a higher reliance on the lighter cavalry types, but there is a definite lack of Cuirassiers for building an Imperial Army.     

For the Imperial Regiments I chose to use darker browns for the leathers, and red highlights.  The models are not quite as well detailed as the infantry models, with some rough details especially on the horse furniture.  I ordered some Peter Pig models to compare, as they appear better detailed for a comparable price.  

The Swedish regiments have lighter colors with yellow/blue highlights.  I am hoping to find some better models to reflect the Finnish cavalry regiments.  

Not much more to say on these.  I need several more regiments to flesh out the wings of both armies, and a significant increase in the Cuirassiers.  I am currently working on finishing the Cuirassier models from this set, rounded out with some command figures from the Peter Pig line.  I will have some comparison pics coming up as I work on an additional all Peter Pig regiment, an older Essex miniatures unit, and the hulking brutes I picked up from Khurasan miniatures. 



Next up, the artillery pieces.

.  

Comments

  1. From your photos, the foot look better than the horse. I am anxious to see how the Peter Pig figures match-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I am currently beavering away at so PP Cuirassiers and Dismounted Dragoons. They scale nicely with Warlord figures and have much more crisp details.

      Delete
  2. Not bad at all, but I agree with Jon; for the same price, and considering the need for Cuirassiers, etc, we'll see if the Peter Puig figures wind up being a better choice. Maybe a slightly Less dark color for the armor' I like Vallejo Oily Steel a lot, sometimes use Vallejo Gunmetal if I want a darker metallic color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using TurboDork "Six Shooter" metallic paint for these. I is essentially a black metallic. I am tending away from the brighter silvers as the armor I saw in the various collections seemed almost satin black up close. That said, I think the dull coat I used smashed the sheen down to almost pure black. I will add a touch of Gunmetal and see what happens. The Cuirassiers are getting a more eclectic mix based on the available armor of he time. Base colors are TD Six Shooter, AP Gunmetal, AP Enchanted Steel, and AP Plate Armor.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, I'm also working my way through the Warlord Epic for an ECW project. I picked up some Peter Pig and they are a great match. I'm planning on mixing the two ranges together in the same units. Steelfist are also a good match, slightly different style and better off in their own units

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished the Peter Pig Cuirassiers, I am much happier with them then the Warlord ones. If you pick up the PP Mounted Trumpeter pack and the Cuirassier command with Sashes you can use the 3x command figs to round out a 15 fig unit using just the 12 plastics Cuirassier from the boxed set. I also picked up 3x packs of Cuirassier to use the other half of the figs for the PP pure regiment. I was looking at Steelfist, but found the 40% of order value postage rate a little steep. I may try a 200 UKP order sometime in the future if I decide to expand my Samurai collection.

      Delete

Post a Comment