TYW - Infantry Basing finalized

 

Swedish Yellow Brigade 

I finally settled on a unified base size for my Pike and Shotte Regiments.  Seen above are three stands of Swedish infantry done on 3.5" x 2.5"bases.  This allows me to still get some depth on the pike stands and prevent too much overlap along the leading edge.  

I've tried doing both single and double rows of Pikemen at the ready as well as adding some loose musketeers to the front of the formation.  Overall, I am getting the look I wanted, and they look much better en masse from a distance than close up.  I managed to find a source on Amazon that sells 2mm thick 6"x8" MDF sheets.  20 sheets cost me $17, which is a significant savings over laser cut 3mm bases.  These are easy to rip down with my table saw, and don't bend or warp like the balsa sheets I experimented with.  I also ordered a pack of 3"x2" precut sheets that I want to try for my cavalry and auxiliary bases.  

I have all of the Swedish Dragoons done at this point on 3" x 1.5" bases.  I think I prefer them on these mixed bases, as representing mounted infantry units like this has always been a pain for me.  Frankly, the battlefield utility of these units has never really been worth the added effort of doing two separate units to represent them as either mounted or dismounted.  I think these convey the proper nature of the Dragoons on this scale as they will blend in well with the hordes of infantry and cavalry that normally surround them.  


More to add shortly as I finish basing my cavalry.  Thanks for looking. 

Comments

  1. They look grand, the basing really works well. Also like the dragoons, think you have them spot on there, a lot better than faffing about with two separate bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yeah the proper demonstration of mounted infantry is a long standing issue of mine...

      Delete

Post a Comment