Cold Warriors

 


Getting the new year's resolution off right with some low hanging fruit!  I managed to polish off the last five 80's US Army in MOPP gear to complete the squad from the start of the month.  These sculpts are some of my favorites as I have plenty of miserable memories trudging around in MOPP 4 in the stifling Kentucky hear  with evaluators liberally applying tear gas to us whenever possible. 



These 11 join the other 12 I painted back in 2016.  The biggest challenge was actually getting the paint schemes to even come close to matching. I airbrushed the basic colors on these before I departed for Germany using my VJ Cold War air colors set, which gave them more vibrant tones than the first set.  The helmet detail is much nicer, so I may need to go back and clean up some of the others.  

I have one figure left in the pile (FIM-92 Stinger), that I may someday kit bash into something better.  I am still baffled why Eureka would have gone with this instead of a Dragon or something else in a 12 figure collection.  It's been over a decade, so I am not holding out hope for any new models.  For myself, I do not see needing two of them.  

Strangely, their Soviet counterparts got a Sagger ATGM, but no Strela.  Seems a bit backward...


Technically, the collection is only 50% of the way there as I still have the rest of the Soviet Troopers to finish, but I am going to take the win where I can.  

Barring any new sculpts joining the range from Eureka my only objectives left to call it good are a Bradley and Abrams for the US Side, though I could be tempted if I ever find a 28mm M114 scout. 

Comments

Post a Comment