Kushite Chariots


With both jobs on hold while we suspend human interaction (hah! I have been practicing "Social Distancing" for almost half a century.  ..thus this hobby...), there should be enough time to conquer some outstanding projects.  I have a goal of getting the 28mm Kushite Egyptians Project completed by Easter, so I opted to start with the Chariots.  I picked up a three pack of light chariots from Old Glory a couple years back, which would bring me up to four stands in total for the army. They are nicely sculpted figures, and fit well with the BTD skirmishers I use as Chariot runners. 

Now that GW contrast paints exist I thought I would try some different approaches to the skin tones for this project.  For the darker skin tones I opted for VJ German Chocolate Brown with a GW "Wyldwood" wash.  It gave an excellent Nubian tone which I highlighted using VJ Oak Brown.  The lighter tones were done with Leather Brown washed in Snikebite leather and Sunny Skin Tone washed with Agrassos Dunes.


I already have one light chariot done with a 'cattle skin' pattern, so I added one more and then two in a light yellow. 

The Old Glory pack came with fully armored warriors which seemed a little excessive for light chariots.  I decided to swap them out with the BTD warriors from my heavy chariots, which really helps differentiate the heavier chariots from the lighter ones on the table. 
I am also taking the opportunity to fix up the basing for this collection and give them a uniform matt spray to pull the entire collection together.  I have a rather diverse mix of units adding to collection, so perhaps I will have something interesting to throw against Jon by the time he heals up. 

Comments

  1. Nice! It is very good to see a return to your Egyptian project!
    Leg has healed but still have a lot of PT to traverse. Hobbling along but getting by. An extended Spring Break sounds good but given the situation, I am sure you would choose work over our current state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, weird world we are living in right now. We went from "teachers will be coming in everyday" to "entry into the building is by appointment only"

      Delete
  2. First class chariot units, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive! Chariots are a lot of work, and yours are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely test ones patience! Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  4. Your new chariots look great, Jake. Yeah, they are a pain, but they are well worth it!

    FOUR chariots for an Egyptian army?

    I think you need a few more, sir - especially if you are to have any chance against the Assyrian Juggernaut! Although had numbers are difficult to come by, I have seen estimates that up to half of the soldiers in an Egyptian Army in the Late new kingdom (i.e., Ramses) were in chariots. That seems excessive, but even 25% is a lot of Chariots!

    In To the Strongest!, the Egyptians have held their own OK against the Assyrians. The Light Chariots have to play the game - use their maneuverability and numbers to get on the flanks of the Assyrians and shoot and or charge them from the flank whenever possible, and evade when they can't! In TTS!, a good portion of them should be Veterans, which helps considerably as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four LIGHT chariots. There are also an additional four heavy chariots, three stands of light cavalry, 9 stands of Infantry, and a horde of missile troops. In the end, you are of course correct, more Chariots will need to be added. Though I still need to paint some from my Qin army, so it may be awhile.

      Delete
    2. I will also try your advice for the next game of TTS! It will have to wait until after the current debacle however. Hopefully it will be enough time for Jon to forget you wrote this...

      Delete
    3. The Egyptian Heavy chariots only differ in having some armor on the soldiers, so a better rating but still "light" Chariots, unlike the Assyrian lawmower (haymaker?) tractors! :-) Still that brings the total up to a much more respectable number! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment