Breaking up the outline


I was looking around at Gamer's Haven up in Spokane last month when I found a packet of camouflage netting for 28mm vehicles.  I have been meaning to spruce up my 28mm Cold War vehicles, so I figured I would give it a try.  I chose to try it out on my M48A3 which started life as a snap-tite model from the local hobby shop:



I managed to spruce it up with a MERDC paint scheme as some weathering powders, but it was still lacking a certain something:


For the application of the camo net, I dipped the material in watered down white glue and then carefully wrapped it around the barrel and turret.  I tried to make sure it didn't cover the optics or get in the way of the turret or tracks.  (Much as you do with the real thing.)  Finally I gave it a liberal dose of Earl Grey tea to make it look like the real disruptive fabric strips in modern nets.


 A minor distraction, but it does make for a better looking model. 

Comments

  1. Excellent. WW2 crews threw anything they could on their tanks to break up their profiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent enough time on modern tanks to appreciate the effort. It is amazing what a little netting and brush can do to throw off inexperienced gunners who refuse to use their thermals!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Now I just need to finish the Soviets T-64 my nephew printed out for me.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a transformation from the original kit. Although the netting looks good, it's hiding the great camo work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the risk of covering my MERDC pattern in order to get a more realistic looking model. I may leave the M113 unadorned at this point, just to keep at least one good example of the pattern on display.

      Delete
  4. I take it that's REAL: Earl Grey tea leaves. Jean-Luc would be proud...
    ("Tea.... Earl Grey... Hot!")

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment