Samurai Cavalry


I used to think I was developing some skill as a figure painter.  Then I decided to do 28mm Samurai Cavalry.  The universe punished my arrogance.  The fact the sealant spray clouded only heightened the pain. 

I am really enjoying these Perry castings, although the amount of detail requires a great deal more effort than most 28mm cavalry.  I opted to do these guys in three phases:  Horses, Riders, Sashimono.  This allowed me to get the mix of colors and designs I wanted for this group.  My only regret is that they came out much brighter than I wanted.  I am going to use a black primer for the next set to get a more muted look.  











Comments

  1. I think they look great. If not already used, wouldn't a black wash tone down the colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem. They did receive a black wash!

      Delete
  2. You are too hard on yourself. They look great to me!
    As Peter suggests, Minwax treatment would tone the bright colors down abit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just more cartoonish than I wanted. They already had one dose, but I am going to try another to see if it will cure the "clouding"

      Delete
    2. If the dullcote clouded, try hitting them with a gloss or matte clear coat, letting that layer dry thoroughly, and then hitting them again with dullcote. I have saved a few figures doing this.

      Delete
    3. That's what I was thinking. The minwax gives a really nice gloss coat at the same time it darkens, so I am trying to kill two birds with one stone.

      Delete

Post a Comment