The table.....

My 185mm modeling project now requires some creative basing.
 I've opted to build some storage into the new games table to help reign in the clutter.  The base of the table is going to be customized cabinets across the short sides of the table with some longer shelves tucked up underneath for game mats, terrain, etc.  The above cabinet is my first attempt at real carpentry.  It's a 50" x 25"x 12" box with a 2" pedestal base.  I still need to add the back, shelves and doors to complete it.

For the other side I have opted to recycle some existing furniture:
 I inherited the racks with the home, and the filing cabinet is a hard wood set I got for $10 at Goodwill.  I trimmed the filing cabinet down to match the height of the shelf (27"), and combined the two with a 3/4" piece of plywood sandwiched in to strengthen the piece and increase the width.

 
I need to add some trim to the base and to cover the union.  Then it is time for intensive sanding and staining.

Still to do:

  • Mounting boards for the table top.
  • Figure out how to router dice trays and cup holders into the table borders.
  • Mount the 6" border
  • Build the cover
  • Actually play a #$&-ing wargame in my new house....

Comments

  1. Great start! My table is still 2 end to end ping pong tables, with a frame of left over 2x4's and 3/4" plywood on top of it to raise the height 5" and tie them together into a single (but sectioned) 20x6 feet; Heavy and no finesse, but effective and about the right height. As it is in the basement and thus subject to occasional flooding, never went for any built in storage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment