TYW - The Winged Hussars arrive.


 

The first centerpiece unit for my planned Polish Lithuanian commonwealth army.  These Khurasan late 16th C. Hussars are probably a little too modern for skirmishing with Gustavus Adolphus' forces, but they look too nice to pass up.  The castings are very nice, though assembly is a nightmare with separate horses and riders, lances and 2x piece wings.  I have not doubt that any attempt to field these guys in a normal game will result in a non-zero number of detached lances.   


Speaking of the lances, the soft metal used is not ideal for the scale of these models.  They bend readily which will result in chipped paint.    For the next unit, I plan to replace them with brass spears.  The large pennants should hide any incongruities.  

I was interested to hear that Warlord intends to release Polish units for Epic Pike & Shotte in the future, though I don't think it will occur before 2025 given their focus on all things ECW for this range.  I am not too concerned as my actual level of play indicates that I won't be looking at fielding this army any time real soon. 

Rounding out my small force, I completed a second unit of Cossack spearmen.  Next I am going to start looking for some appropriate mounted archers.    Thanks for looking. 

Comments

  1. Nice! They certainly are a "centerpiece" unit. We should address your "level of play" at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday. Two jobs leaves limited opportunities to go play without the family on weekends.

      Delete
  2. Suitably impressive. Joe and I were introduced to Renaissance and TYW wargaming by Charlie Sweet almost 50 years ago. Charlie had Winged Hussars in 15mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 30 mm, and 54 mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are an appealing unit, I like them for the same reason I like my Samurai. Ostentatious displays of glory hound cavalry. I am holding steady at 6mm, 15mm and 28mm if you count my "Kislev Winged Lancers" from Warhammer 3rd Ed.

      Delete
  3. Winged hussars are a 'must' whenever possible, so grab any excuse to field them with both hands, I reckon! These look marvellous to boot. There's no indication of the problems with the lances in the photos and I'm sure that you'd not notice on the tabletop.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment