TYW Project - Cuirassiers scale comparisons and alternate miniatures.

 

Warlord Epic Cuirassier with Peter Pig command

Warlord's Epic Pike & Shotte line is primarily about the English Civil War, nowhere is this more evident than with the Cuirassiers.  A single cavalry box of three sprues provides a whopping 6 models for a game that uses 15 models for each cavalry unit.  Even the battlebox only contains 12 models in total, which makes it difficult to assemble a period appropriate force for the continent.  

I was considering trying to trade for some more Cuirassier models on the Facebook group when I a happy accident of limited stock gave me the opportunity to test the Peter Pig Sculpts with Warlord ones. 

Peter Pig sells their cavalry in packs of 4 models with a command pack including 2x commanders and 2x flag bearers.  They sell a separate pack of trumpeters which includes 2x models in hats and 2x with helmets,  I managed to pick up the last 3 packs or basic Cuirassiers that Brookhurst Hobbies had in stock, which gave me the spare command group to finish off the Imperial Cuirassier unit pictured above. 


Peter Pig Cuirassier Unit

I used Peter Pig models to provide my Ake Tott miniature with his first heavy formation in his command. These are the basic casts without sashes and feathers.  I plan to pick up a couple of units worth of those sculpts when Brookhurst re-stocks them. 

Khurasan TYW Cuirassiers

I took advatage of an order for some Winged Hussars and Wallachian cavalry from Khurasan to try some of their TYW cavalry models.  These game in a pack of 12 figures and are giant compared to the other sculpts.  You can fit the entire helmeted head of one of the other models inside their helmets with room to spare.  Although they are nice sculpts, I will be looking to off-load these in favor of a more to-scale units.  Those interested in these hulking goliaths please inquire below.  

Essex late Mediaeval/Early Renaissance Pistoleers 

Lastly, I took advantage of my old Mediaeval collection of Essex figures to carve out a unit of 15 Pistoleers.  They work well for the time period, and are similar in size to the Warlord  models.  (Just a little larger) This was actually my first unit attempt at painting, so you can see the wide variety of armor colors resulting from various colors.  I am fairly happy with this unit, although they are definitely showing their age these 25+ years. 


Size comparison from Left to Right:  Essex, Khurasan, Warlord Epic riders mixed with Peter Pig Command

For those interested in a size comparison, here are all of the sculpts lined up in my photo box.  As you can the Khurasan sculpts are significantly larger and would not reasonably fit 5x models on abase.  


Below is a side by side of the these models with a Khurasan Winged Hussar (still in progress, these guys take a lot of time on the paint table!) .  I understand differences due to sculptor's, but this seems like a significant disparity.

Size comparison:  Khurasan TWY (L) and Polish Hussar (R) both listed as 15mm from the same website. 

Part of the reason I moved away from 15mm in the past is that it suffers from the greatest variance in sizes across ranges.  I plan to stick with Peter Pig moving forward, unless I can get a reasonable deal on the Steel Fist range or I find some more By Fire and Sword cavalry that work right.  

That is enough ranting for now.  Next up, I have finally completed basing my Imperial Infantry as well as the latest upgraded bases for my Swedes. 

Comments

  1. Pete Pig cavalry look good! How about a photo with the PP cavalry alongside a Warlord foote regiment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, I will take a few snapshots in the near future to provide an addendum. I have some more Harquebusiers enroute from PP that will make for a good comparison.

      Delete
  2. The Cuirassiers look cool and the Peter Pig sculpts are a good match

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are some of my favorite units.

      Delete
  3. The Peter Pig figures seem an almost perfect match. The Khursan figures seem another scale altogether (although lovely). Lack of uniformity of scale has been a gripe in our hobby back to at least the 1960's... and its gotten worse if anything over time. I'm loving this project overall, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am well use the diversity in scale, I just wasn't expecting it from the same company. I agree the spread of companies has increased he issue, I just seem to think that 15mm is getting the worst of it.

      Delete

Post a Comment