Guns of the South


Pushing past the command stands, here are the first few artillery stands for the Confederate side.  The guns are more or less a speed paint job with a basecoat of AP US Armor green spray, with details done in VJ Black and AP Spear Brown.  I am trying to mix up the colors for the CSA side by focusing on four colors for all of the uniforms with different washes to create other tones.  Basically this is AP Uniform Grey, Ash Grey, Leather Brown (Butternut), and Skeleton Bone.  I am also sprinkling in the odd sky blue pair of pants to represent some borrowed Federal clothing.  I have a been a little more liberal with the application of the red for stripes and Forage Caps, but am taking artistic licence to help with ID on the tabletop.   
 I am less concerned on barrel types for the CSA units as they historically struggled with maintaining continuity across an entire battalion.  These stands also contain two of my re-purposed guns from the GHQ caisson packs.   (The only differences are the bore brush added to the gun carriage and the movement of the guide pole from the rear to it's storage point on the side.)

 I will eventually go back through with a second coat of flocking and other basing materials to cover the stands and give the whole army a unified look.


If you are looking for some quick and easy uniform guides, I found the Wargames Illustrated -Digital Archive has some decent sources.  ACW Volume 3 cost me $2.99 US and included uniform and equipment articles on Federal and Confederate Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Officers and Specialty troops.

Comments

  1. Fine looking Rebel Batteries. From what I understand, the Southern gunners clung to their red kepis as long as they could.

    This project moving along faster than hillbillies can guzzle Moonshine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I've noticed redlegs seem to be very possessive of such things. I think most artillerymen still own red socks, just in case.

      Delete
  2. Jake, you are getting very close to a game-ready force just about the right size for RFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress is slowing significantly now that I am doing the infantry. The uniform mix of the CSA takes more time to complete than the relative uniformity of the Federal Army

      Delete
  3. They look beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment